Benefits of Therapeutic Riding
Therapeutic riding is an alternative form of therapy using horses to help persons with various disabilities. Activities involving the horse can be used to assist people with disabilities in achieving physical and mental health, and cognitive, behavioral, social and communication goals. In this context, a team approach involving therapeutic riding Instructors, health professionals and riders who have disabilities, is used in designing and implementing the riding sessions.
Some of the benefits include:
- Improvement of balance
- Development of coordination
- Mobilization of trunk and pelvis
- Strengthening of muscles
- Normalization of muscle tone
- Prevention of contractures
- Increased confidence and self-esteem
- Improvement of attention span
- Promotion of independence
- Improvement of social integration
- Access to recreation, sport and/or competition
- Increased concentration, motivation and patience
- Riders often experience a sense of control they might not otherwise feel in their everyday life.